Wednesday, 31 October 2007

WISE consortium courses

If you are a student of the MLIS you can include courses offered by the WISE consortium as an elective - I'd like to encourage anyone thinking about enrolling to 'Go for it!' as I really enjoyed my experience.

I did a course through Syracuse University called Creating, Managing and Preserving Digital Assets, which included the complete life cycle of the digitised collection from project management, interoperability, copyright (hmmm...that assignment was fun! grrr...US Copyright Law :) ), Selection, Digital permanence, metadata and so on. The duration went from their Spring Term, January 16 – May 6 so there is a bit of overlap with our summer trimester.

The lecturer Jill Hurst-Wahl was really adept at distance teaching; the course being entirely delivered using Web CT (similar to BlackBoard). The amount of discussion was extensive, as this was part of our assessment, but proved to be the most interesting part of the course as everyone had such different backgrounds and perspectives.

Some benefits are that you can specialise in a topic which isn't offered here such as Music Librarianship & Bibliography. Negatives - now I keep spelling things with z's in them...digitization..

I believe the requests to enrol in these courses begin November 5th and there are 26 courses beginning in January - so be in quick!

More details about WISE can be found in Blackboard in LIM Programmes Information. Here is the path:
LIM PROGRAMMES INFORMATION > LIM INFORMATION > WISE CONSORTIUM INFORMATION

1 comment:

  1. Update from Dan Dorner "holders of the Dip Libr from VUW as well as MLIS graduates from VUW can register their interest in taking WISE courses as COPs".
    Has anyone else taken a WISE course? It would be great to hear about your experience :) Thanks!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete