Friday, 19 October 2007

Greetings

My name is Pete Sime. I'm 28 years old and I'm only a third of the way through my MLIS. Based in sunny Dunedin, I'm a distance student at Victoria University. This brings its own challenges but my employer, Dunedin Public Libraries, is supportive enough and Vic has a lot of good resources for distance students.

Like many, I fell into librarianship as a career. To be honest, when I was a schoolboy the thought of working in a library never really occured to me. I started working at DPL when I returned to Dunedin after completing my honours year in history at Victoria (having completed a BA and LLB at Otago). Working in circulations, I really enjoyed the public service aspect of the job. I've moved on to cataloguing and serials work now, though I still do a few stints each week in circ.

I'm on the LIANZA Otago/Southland committee. One of my goals serving there is to encourage people to consider a professional career in libraries, I think this blog will be invaluable to that end.

I have a deep interest in intellectual property. When the time comes to do my research project, I plan to examine creative commons in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment