It's wonderful to see a LIS group blog created specially for us kiwis!My name is Timothy, and I'm an Assistant Librarian at Victoria University. I've been a MLIS student at Victoria's School of Information Management for the last two years, and I've just finished handing in my 580 research project, which (hopefully) heralds the end of my studies and my dramatic entry into the illustrious ranks of Professional Librarians! No more shelf tidying for me (yeah right!).
I moved to Wellington just four months ago to my new VUW job, but I cut my librarian's teeth at the University of Canterbury Library. As I Cultural Studies post-graduate moonlighting as a library assistant to pay the rent, I quickly found that working at the library was a way to get access to top notch resources and get paid pretty well at the same time. I imagined a life of reading, researching, and helping others discover my favourite subjects, without the horrors of "PBRF" and academic politicking, which were becoming uncomfortably visible at that time.
As I took the various MLIS papers, I discovered that there's so much depth to this profession, and that a lot of the exciting new topics have to do with internet technology (and even online video games!) - which I'm dead keen on.
Speaking of the internet, I thought I'd take this opportunity to share with other LIS students some of the great resources that I've discovered out there on the ole' WWW that we benefit from. There are lots of young librarians that love the 'net; we're in an exciting and forward-looking job. Here are three interesting communities to get you started:
- LibSuccess.org; best practices wiki: It'd be great to see some New Zealand Libraries contribute to this wiki, it's a really good source of practical knowledge about the profession, though largely from an American point of view. The section on finding a job is filled with excellent advice. I thoroughly recommend reading the articles there - I think they helped me get my current job!
- LISStudents Ning: A group for library and information science students from all around the world!
- NZLibraries2.0 Ning: A group for New Zealand librarians interested in pushing the envelope with new technologies in their libraries. Started by MLIS student and celebrity blogger Simon Chamberlain, just a few short days ago!
I think I'll start the blogroll ball rolling by recommending Michael Stephen's weblog TameTheWeb. I'm a huge fan of Dr Stephen's work, and he's a big supporter of blogging librarians (and library students in particular!).
ReplyDeleteFancy meeting you in a place like this, Tim..
ReplyDeleteCongrats on handing in your project, (still interested in your onw on website reviews..) now you can relax for the summer!
"celebrity blogger"? I was actually literally LOL'ing at that for quite some time.
ReplyDeleteExpect a proper post from me shortly...
Thanks for the libsuccess wiki link - very useful.
ReplyDelete