Hi everybody! I had a brief hiatus from the internet while I moved down to Dunedin and re-organised my life. But now I'm hooked up at home again my internet withdrawal symptoms should soon disapate. My new job in the mornings at the Otago district law society's library - which hopefully will allow me to make up all the time I lost whilst moving to work on my research project in the afternoons. Being in a sole charge position is a bit of a change, but it's great to be learning about a different sector of the library world...in between moments of panic at how much there is to learn. The ODLS library has a lovely historic collection which is housed in the Dunedin law courts building which is great, because I've been an 'electronic' librarian for the last few years...so when people say "Oh you're a librarian, must be nice working with books" I can now say "well.. yes it is" :)
How is everyone else doing with their library studies thus far this year?
-
I've transfered mine to Jan next year - woooo!! I mean... d'oh
ReplyDeleteHow's dunners? Feeling the tornadoes yet? I'm personally looking forward to the thunder and lightening
Hi Kirsten,
ReplyDeleteYour new job sounds very interesting and I imagine it would be quite challenging being in a sole charge position. I made a quick visit to Dunedin recently. Dunedin always gives me a pang of excitement as it was "the big city" when I lived in Central Otago as a child. A trip to Dunedin was a rare and wonderful event. It was lovelier than ever and I would like to go back for a longer visit.(If I do I will make sure to drop in and see you.) I visited the Sir Robert Stout Law Library at Otago University when I was down. I like visiting other libraries - I guess I am not alone in that. The revamped Otago Museum
http://www.otagomuseum.govt.nz/
is superb (I wish I had had time to go to the Tropical Forest and see the butterflies). I remember passing by the Law Courts building. It is beautiful - much nicer than some of the modern buildings we have now.
The winters can get a bit chilly there so I hope you have your duffle coat :-)
I am just about to launch my questionnaire for my research project.(I hope).I think I am past the scary stage and I just want to get on and do it now. I should have spent more time choosing my survey software. It is quite fun looking at the different types of software, but I found it hard deciding which one to use.
Best wishes for settling in to your new job,Kirsten.
Thanks guys - Dunedin is very pretty at the moment, lovely autumnal trees & the weather has been kind thus far...I am looking forward to visiting the butterflies at the museum on an extra cold day so I can feel like I'm on a tropical holiday :)
ReplyDeleteHope your questionnaire goes well Caroline, I had some issues choosing the right software to analyse my qualitative data (what is free vs. what is good) so I chose a basic one in the end which needs some serious wrangling. Oh well, you live and learn...
Bye for now, Kirsten