Hi folks,
Was anyone fortunate enough to attend the forum in Ōtaki? I'd really love to hear about this conference, so please share your experience.
Thanks,
Kirsten
-
Note this site has moved to LISNing http://librarystudent.ning.com/
"A library isn’t just a building full of books and women in cardigans. It’s a portal to the world of education, imagination, and wonder. And it’s here, waiting for you, even if you don’t need it and I would think, in these uncertain times, that that would be a great comfort, whoever you are. It bloody well should be."
Moata Tamaira
Blog Idle, post Here's to you, Mr Wilkinson
Sam Callaghan of the NZ Electronic Text Centre at VUW went, she's going to post something about her experience :P
ReplyDeleteYay! So wish I'd gone.
Tēnā koutou katoa,
ReplyDeleteI attended IILF 2009 out at Ōtaki and it rocked! I'm relatively new to the library scene but of the 3 conferences I've attended so far it was the best :-)
There were around 90 delegates, 10 of which were from overseas - Australia, Canada, U.S.A. and Hawai'i.
Most of the presenters talked from a Māori perspective and discussed topics such as the mātauranga Māori continuum vs. traditional Western approaches to knowledge, Māori presence on the web, the cultural/clinical interface (or the importance of understanding cultural context), intellectual property issues and so on.
Many of our international delegates presented on digital initiatives that they had been involved in. Loriene Roy, past president for the American Library Association, discussed some of the challenges and rewards of the position.
There were open sessions and workshops which made the forum highly participatory which I think really made the forum for me.
In addition, we were incredibly well-fed! Te Wānanga o Raukawa took very good care of us.
The next IILF is planned for 2011 and I hope to be able to attend it :-)
Ngā mihi,
Sam
Thanks for sharing Sam! Lovely to hear about this conference.
ReplyDelete