I just found an interesting reflective-type quote from a list-serv (web4lib) that I subscribe to:
The summary of the ALA session seems to suggest that individual libraries and librarians can somehow act ("need to move forward") now in order to save their own business. I think that is to underestimate the long term change. People who used to run small independent bookstores weren't stupid. It's not their individual fault that so many of
them have been replaced. The automobile is not the horses' fault.- Lars Aronsson (lars@aronsson.se)
Aronsson Datateknik
The guy is talking about
this article. My favourite part is the bit about the automobile. Makes you go, "... yeah, yeah you're right".Thoughts?
na H
Hi Hana!
ReplyDeleteI think Lars makes an interesting point, however they way they talk about libraries as 'businesses' makes me cringe. I think of libraries in a holistic and societal sense, inevitably linked with the tangible and physical presence of the library, librarians and objects.
While I do believe we have to change some of our services to keep up with technology and demand, the way they are talking seem to suggest that libraries could radically and permanently change in the space of one generation.
That freaks me out!
Kirsten
You could be that generation Kirsten!
ReplyDeleteOr I could... are we even IN the same generation??
Chur chur
keep up the good work
Am off to Perth next week on a one-way ticket, will let ya'll know how that goes :)
Also, just discovered wiki's and markup and whatnot. I am in love
Good words.
ReplyDelete